New Delhi, July 30 - A two-day debate in parliament on a controversial India-Pakistan joint statement that sought to delink terrorism from dialogue ended Thursday with the government reiterating that there was no dilution in its stand on countering cross-border terror and a hostile Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) staging a walk-out over the Balochistan issue.
The intense and bitterly partisan Lok Sabha debate that lasted for nearly seven hours spread over two days concluded with a formal reply by External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna asserting that there was no deviation from the basic principles of foreign policy except for a shift in nuances and emphases here and there.
But an aggressive BJP remained unconvinced and sought to pin down the government on the inclusion of a reference to Balochistan - shorthand for India's alleged meddling in Pakistan's southwestern province - in the July 16 India-Pakistan joint statement agreed between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Pakistani counterpart Yousuf Raza Gilani at Sharm el-Sheikh.
In the end, a belligerent BJP decided to walk out when Krishna reiterated the government's position on Balochistan, saying 'we have nothing to hide'. BJP leader L.K. Advani said the prime minister's intervention Wednesday and the external affairs minister's reply had failed to address the party's chief objections to the Sharm el-Sheikh joint statement.
'There was no satisfactory response. There is no point in this discussion,' an exasperated Advani said while leading the walk-out by his party MPs from the Lok Sabha.
Krishna focused his reply on India's continuing pursuit of an independent foreign policy, but chose to brush off the opposition's objections to the terror-dialogue delink and a reference to Balochistan in the India-Pakistan joint statement.
'Certain doubts have been expressed,' Krishna admitted, adding that much of them had been 'cleared by the effective intervention' of Manmohan Singh and of former foreign minister Pranab Mukherjee Thursday.
Krishna's reply was interrupted by vociferous accusations from BJP members questioning the Balochistan reference.
In his spirited 45-minute intervention in the debate Wednesday, Manmohan Singh asserted that while there was no dilution or rupture of national consensus on countering terrorism emanating from Pakistan, there was no alternative except to continue the engagement with Islamabad.
Seeking to allay apprehensions over the India-Pakistan joint statement, the prime minister, however, stressed that bilateral engagement or dialogue process can't move forward if terrorist attacks continue from across the border. The prime minister also responded to concerns on India's end-user defence pact with the US and New Delhi's position on climate change, saying that there was no compromise of national interests.