According to P. Chenna Reddy, director of archaeology and museum, the linen bandage of the mummy would be replaced. The experts will also replace the existing material stuffed inside the mummy with scientifically treated cotton foam material.
The crust of the embalmed body, lying in an airtight enclosure, is fragmenting at the face, shoulders and around feet. The wrapping has started to peel off and the cracks are very conspicuous at several places.
The mummy was brought by Nazeer Nawaz Jung, son-in-law of Mir Mehboob Ali Khan, the sixth Nizam or ruler of then Hyderabad State around 1920. He gifted it to the seventh Nizam Mir Osman Ali Khan, who donated it to the museum in 1930.
The museum located in the Public Gardens in the heart of the city was then known as Hyderabad Museum but after the merger of Hyderabad State with the Indian Union was renamed the State Archaeological Museum.
The department of archaeology and museum had earlier sought expert help from the British Museum to restore the mummy but the latter had turned down the request saying it cannot spare its conservators for the job.