Rohtagi said all through his trial at the lower court and later during the period when his appeal was pending at the high court, he had been on bail.
Rohtagi said even the key accused in the case, former Indian Navy chief's grandson Sanjeev Nanda, has been convicted by the high court on charges of causing death due to rash and negligent act and was sentenced to just two years in jail.
On Rohtagi's plea, the apex court waived its rule.
Six people, including three policemen, were crushed to death by a BMW car driven by Sanjeev Nanda in an inebriated state on Lodhi Road in the early hours of Jan 10, 1999.
--Indo-sian news Service
rax/rn/vt