New Delhi, July 28 - The India-Pakistan joint statement signed in Egypt was against the 'national consensus' that there should be no talks until Pakistan takes concrete action against terrorism, BJP leader L.K. Advani said Tuesday after meeting President Pratibha Patil along with NDA parliamentarians.
'By signing the joint statement, the government has accepted that the talks with Pakistan would continue whether it (Pakistan) would take concrete steps against terrorism or not,' Advani told reporters after calling on the president at Rashtrapati Bhavan to discuss the government's 'capitulation' to Pakistan on terrorism and other foreign policy issues.
The leader of the opposition in the Lok Sabha said the joint statement, issued after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh met his Pakistani counterpart Yousuf Raza Gilani in the Egyptian town of Sharm-el-Sheikh, was contrary to the consensus arrived at after the Mumbai terror attack.
'After the Mumbai attack, the national consensus had been achieved in and outside the parliament that till Pakistan does not do proper investigation, even unlimited talks are of no use,' he said.